What is the undergraduate admissions deadline? 

If you apply through Early Decision, your application must be complete and submitted by November 1.

The regular admissions deadline is January 31. If you choose to come to Maritime, you must pay your deposit by May 1.

If you apply after January 31, we may review your application if space is available.

Required Application Materials:

  • Completed application for admissions and the Maritime Supplemental Application.

  • Submit your academic records. All academic records must have an official seal, stamp or signature of a school or government official, and be submitted in the original language. If that language is not English, it must be accompanied by an exactly worded and certified translation.

    • Freshman applicants: official secondary-school records
      Transfer applicants: official secondary-school records and official transcripts for each post-secondary institution attended. International transfer students who have completed college-level courses outside of the U.S. may be asked to submit proof of the institution's accreditation by the Ministry of Education or provide a transcript evaluation.

  • Two letters of recommendation

  • A 250 word essay or personal statement (Topic of your choice)

  • All applicants must submit a TOFEL/ IELTS. SAT I or, ACT as required. Maritime's TOEFL school code is 2536. The minimum paper-based score is 550; internet-based is 79. The minimum IELTS band score is 6.5. Scores are not valid past two years.

Transfer and Graduate Students

*It is important for you to submit all of your documents to the Office of Admissions in sufficient time for us to process all the paperwork and send your I-20 form to you.

Transfer Students Graduate Students

College Transcripts


WES Evaluations

College Transcripts


WES Evaluations
Two Letters of Recommendation

Personal Statement


Use the following deadlines as a guideline:

Students in the regiment of cadets: June 15
Traditional students: June 30

November 15

You can submit your application and documents earlier, but remember that all bank statements must be dated within six months of the date of submission.

What is the cost of tuition?

All international students are considered out-of-region. For a breakdown of the complete international costs and fees for one academic year please refer to page 3: I-20 Application.

What evaluation services can I use to evaluate my foreign transcripts?

You may use WES or any of the NACES approved evaluation services.

Can I obtain a U.S. Coast Guard license?

Only U.S. citizens can get a Coast Guard license. Most countries will accept your SUNY Maritime training and give you a domestic license. Check with your home country to make sure. International students are welcome to participate in the regiment of cadets and take the license exam. If you pass the license exam, you will receive a letter of accreditation that you can take to your home country.

Permanent Residents will receive a limited license upon passing the license exam.

Do I have to be in the Regiment of Cadets?

No, you only have to be in the regiment if you want to receive training toward a merchant mariner license in your home country. You may choose to participate in the regiment as a non-license student.

Can I work in the U.S. while I am on an F-1 visa?

You may only work Curricular Practical Training (CPT - Internship) or Optional Practical Training (OPT). After completing one year you can begin using your 12 months of OPT or use the entire year upon graduating. OPT and CPT employment must be in your field of study only.

If you can obtain a job on campus as a student aide that is the only other option. Possible departments that hire international students are:

  • Stephen B. Luce Library

  • Learning Center

  • Office of Admissions

  • Office of Student Affairs

  • Waterfront

  • Chartwells Food Service

  • Campus Bookstore

  • Office of Housing and Residential Life

  • Information Technology

Use this form to apply for CPT.

For more information, contact International Student Services.

What percentage of the student body is international students?

7 percent of our undergraduate population

30 percent of our graduate population

Can I transfer into SUNY Maritime College?

You may transfer from a college or university that is overseas, or from a U.S. institution.

Does Maritime offer academic scholarships to international students?

Yes, international students can qualify for scholarships if they meet the minimal qualifications.

Is student housing available for international students?

Students who participate in the regiment of cadets are required to live on campus in suburban Throggs Neck neighborhood of the Bronx for all four years. Students are granted campus housing on a first-come, first-served basis.