federal work study

Students who receive federal work study as part of their financial aid package, will be able to get a part-time job to supplement their income and help pay the cost of attendance. To receive work study, students must file a FAFSA and be enrolled at least half-time. Wages vary based on the work, but students cannot earn more than their federal work-study award.

Working On Campus

Most students prefer to work on campus. It is the student’s responsibility to find a job, and positions are limited. It is recommended that students do not delay their job search.

Some work-study positions are listed in Purple Briefcase; other positions are available by contacting individual departments and offices.

When a student has found a job, their supervisor will validate the award with the Financial Aid Office and submit a student employment application to Human Resource Services. HR will contact the student to complete the required forms and documents. Do not begin working before all paperwork has been approved.

Working Off Campus

If students choose to apply their work-study benefits at an off-campus job, that job must be community service-oriented. This means the job must improve the quality of life for local communities, especially those that are underprivileged, by addressing needs such as health care, child care, adult literacy, child education, recreation and other social services; transportation; housing and neighborhood improvement; rural development and public safety.

You are responsible for finding an off-campus job that satisfies these requirements and submitting the position to Human Resource Services for approval.

Preston Center of Compassion

Maritime College has an approved community service partnership with Preston Center of Compassion, 2780 Schurz Avenue in the Bronx. Students who work with Preston primarily help children between the ages of 6 and 12 with homework or other academic projects, including book reports, essays and other assignments. Transportation from campus to Preston is provided.

For more information, contact the Financial Aid Office.