Visa Information for International Students

International students who wish to study at Maritime College must have an F-1 visa (international students cannot begin classes with a B visa and will need to return to their home country and apply for an F-1 visa).

The visa process may begin once the international candidate has completed their application to Maritime College and has been accepted by the College. Once a visa is approved, the student may enter the U.S. within 30 days of the program start date listed on their I-20.

To Obtain an F-1 Visa, the International Student Must

  • Be accepted to SUNY Maritime College

  • Be issued an I-20 from SUNY Maritime College

  • Pay the SEVIS fee (I-901)

Begin with the I-20 Application

Once accepted to Maritime College, please contact Pam Trowbridge,
International Student Coordinator/DSO, at to obtain the I-20 application. Make sure to fully complete and submit the application along with a copy of your passport and your financial documentation.

International applicants must document their ability to meet educational and living expenses for one year of study for SUNY Maritime College to issue a Certificate of Visa Eligibility (I-20).

If Currently Studying in the U.S.

You will need to submit: 

  • I-20 transfer form

  • Photocopy of U.S. visa page with picture photo

  • Photocopy of both side of your current I-94 form

  • Copies of all I-20 forms

Upon acceptance, you must pay the SEVIS fee (I-901).

Maritime College will issue your I-20 and once you have the I-20, you can then make an appointment for a visa with your local U.S. embassy or consulate office.

Pay the SEVIS Fee

The SEVIS fee must be paid in U.S. currency.

Pay online

Complete the form I-901 online and pay with a credit card. This is the quickest way to pay the fee. Print the receipt from the computer and bring the receipt with you to the visa appointment.

Pay by mail

Submit the I-901 with a check or money order, drawn from a U.S. bank and payable in U.S. currency. Do not send cash. You must wait for a receipt by mail. Make an appointment for an F-1 visa with your local U.S. embassy or consulate only after you receive a receipt by mail. Making a visa appointment without the receipt may delay your visa application process.

Mail the I-901 and payment in the same envelope to:

I-901 Student/Exchange Visitor Processing Fee
PO Box 970020
St. Louis, MO 63197-0020
United States

Send your I-901 and payment in the same envelope by courier:
I-901 Student/Exchange Visitor Processing Fee
1005 Convention Plaza
St. Louis, MO 63101
United States