Apply for Aid

Apply for federal aid

File your FAFSA

If you want to be considered for financial aid, you must complete a Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA). This qualifies U.S. citizens and eligible non-citizens to be considered for federal aid programs.

FAFSA Deadlines

  • February 1 for new students enrolling in the fall semester

  • March 1 for continuing students 

  • November 1 for spring enrollment

If you file after the deadline, you will still be considered for aid but there may be delays in your aid processing.

School code


Request for Additional Information

Some federal aid applicants are selected randomly to verify FAFSA information. If you are selected, the college request additional information or other verification. You must provide the information within 45 days of our request or risk losing some or all of your aid.

Apply for New York State Aid

If you are a New York State resident, you are eligible to apply for a TAP grant and scholarships.

TAP Grants

New York State TAP Grants are available to undergraduate students.

School code


Excelsior Scholarship

The Excelsior Scholarship makes it possible for students whose families earn less than $110,000 adjusted gross income (AGI) a year to attend a SUNY school tuition-free. 

The scholarship is administered by the New York State Higher Education Services Corporation.


2018-19 applications are due July 23

To Apply

To complete the Excelsior application, you need:

  • Copies of your 2016 New York State income tax return(s) filed by you and your parent(s) or your spouse, as applicable

  • To complete the 2018-19 FAFSA and TAP application 

  • Your Student Aid Report (SAR), which you received when you filed your completed FAFSA

  • Your current unofficial college transcript, showing the number of credits you earned each year prior to applying for this program if you have previously attended college

NYS STEM Incentive Program

Students interested in pursuing a degree in science, technology, engineering or math may qualify for the New York State STEM Incentive Program. 

Offers a full-SUNY tuition scholarship to students in the top 10 percent of their class who are pursuing associate or bachelor's degrees in science, technology, engineering or math fields. Award recipients must live and work in a STEM filed in the state for five years after graduation.


August 15


  • New York State residents who have resided in the state for 12 continuous months before the beginning of the fall term

  • U.S. citizen or eligible non-citizen

  • High school senior or recent graduate who will enroll in college full-time the fall after graduation

  • Top 10 percent of high school graduating class

  • Matriculate in an approved undergraduate STEM program

  • Earn a cumulative 2.5 GPA or higher each term after the first semester

  • Execute a service contract agreeing work in a STEM field in New York for five years


Complete and submit the application, including the required supplemental documentation

Apply for aid from other states

Students who live outside New York may receive funds from their state scholarship programs. To apply, contact your home state higher education agency for program requirements and application procedures. The U.S. Department of Education publishes a list of State Higher Education Agencies; below are a few agencies whose aid programs currently transfer to Maritime College.

Maryland Residents

The Maryland Higher Education Commission offers the MDCAPS program. 

Delaware Residents

The Delaware Department of Education offers the ScIP program.

Pennsylvania Residents

The Pennsylvania Higher Education Assistance Agency (PHEAA) offers the PHEAA program. Please note that this program is for students in the Facilities Engineering program only.

District of Columbia Residents

Students from Washington, D.C., should apply for the DC Tuition Assistance Grant, offered through the Office of the State Superintendent of Education.

Apply for Summer Aid

Aid is available for students taking at least six credits during the summer term.

If you want to receive any kind of aid, you must submit your FAFSA, Maritime's supplemental summer aid application, and, if applicable, complete loan applications



March 1

School Code


You need to file a FAFSA for summer term if:

  • Summer term is the first time this academic year you are taking classes at Maritime, and

  • You wish to apply for federal aid

Summer Aid Application

Priority Deadline

The first business day in April. 

You must complete your FAFSA before you can complete your summer aid application. If you are taking classes in the fall, spring and summer and want to have your federal aid split across the terms, you must complete the summer aid application.

Graduate students and/or parents who wish to borrow a PLUS loan should complete the application online and indicate the term(s) for which the loan should apply. To ensure students receive sufficient funding, we recommend they request a summer loan application, separate from the fall/spring application.

Students who wish to borrow a private loan should complete all requirements with their lender and indicate the term(s) for which the loan should apply. 

Summer Sea Term

There is an additional cost for students going on summer sea term. The cost covers tuition, food and ship maintenance. Students will also receive separate bills for mandatory international insurance and a plane ticket for the change-out, if applicable.

Scholarships are available through the college Faculty Student Association and the SUNY Maritime Alumni Association.

More About Summer Sea Term