Apply for Aid

Financial aid consists of fund provided to students and families to help pay for postsecondary educational expenses. Our office primarily assists students with securing federal and state funds in the form of scholarships, grants, loans and work-study.

Maritime institutional scholarships are also available for students. New students are automatically considered for merit scholarships through the Admissions process. Continuing students may apply for need and merit-based scholarships during the academic year.

What you should know

U.S. citizens and eligible non-citizens must meet Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP) standards and complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) using code 002853. While your FAFSA can be filed anytime between October 1, 2018 to June 30, 2019 for the 2019–2020 school year, Maritime does have priority filing deadlines.

Maritime Self-Service

As you prepare to begin your studies at Maritime, please take a moment to explore Self-Service, the online portal where you can find useful information. Go to the Self-Service Portal to view your financial aid awards, financial aid file status, and your billing statements and more. After logging in to Self-Service, select “Financial Aid” (to view the status of your financial aid) and/or “Student Accounts” (to view your bill, student refund, and/or make a payment).

Has your financial situation changed? Students who have experienced a change in their financial circumstances since completing their financial aid application may file a Petition for Special Circumstances to see if additional financial assistance may be available. Please note: Not all changes in financial circumstances will result in increased financial assistance.

Apply for Federal Aid: FAFSA

If you are a U.S. citizen and eligible non-citizen who wants to be considered for financial aid, you must complete a Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) using code 002853.


  • February 1 for new students enrolling in the fall semester

  • March 1 for continuing students

  • November 1 for spring enrollment

If you miss the priority deadline, you may still receive some financial assistance, but certain aid may not be available.

Request for Additional Information

Every year, a few applicants are selected at random and asked to verify the information submitted on the FAFSA. In those cases, and in any instance where an application appears to include inaccurate or conflicting information, Financial Aid will request additional documentation or other verification. If you receive such a request, please provide the information requested within 45 days to ensure the timely disbursement fo financial and and to avoid forfeiting or reductions to your financial aid.

Disqualification for Federal Student Aid

FAFSA filers are advised that a criminal conviction for violating state or federal drug laws can disqualify a student for federal student aid if the offense occurred during a period in which the student was receiving Title IV aid. The official policy statement is summarized below. Conspiring to sell drugs counts as sale of drugs.

Offense Possession of Illegal Drugs Sale of iIllegal Drugs
1st offense 1 year from date of conviction 2 years from date of conviction
2nd offense 2 years from date of conviction Indefinite period
3rd offense Indefinite period  
Apply for New York State Aid: TAP, Excelsior, STEM, & Other Awards

Tuition Assistance Program (TAP) Grant

Undergraduate New York State (NYS) residents who want to be considered for a state grant, must complete a TAP Application using school code 0955.

Excelsior Scholarship

The Excelsior Scholarship makes it possible for students whose families earn less than $110,000 adjusted gross income (AGI) a year to attend a SUNY school tuition-free. For more information, visit Excelsior Scholarship.

STEM Incentive Program

Students interested in pursuing a degree in science, technology, engineering or math may qualify for the New York State STEM Incentive Program which offers a full-SUNY tuition scholarship to students in the top 10 percent of their class. For more information, visit STEM Incentive Program.

For other NYS awards see the chart of New York State grants, scholarships, and awards on the HESC website. New York State scholarship programs may require applications in addition to the FAFSA.

Out of State: Scholarships and Aid Programs

Students who live outside New York may receive funds from their state scholarship programs. To apply, contact your home state higher education agency for program requirements and application procedures.

Below are a few agencies whose aid programs currently transfer to Maritime College.

Maryland Residents

The Maryland Higher Education Commission offers the MDCAPS program. 


Delaware Residents

The Delaware Department of Education offers the ScIP program.


Pennsylvania Residents

The Pennsylvania Higher Education Assistance Agency (PHEAA) offers the PHEAA program. Please note that this program is for students in the Facilities Engineering program only.


District of Columbia Residents

Students from Washington, D.C., should apply for the DC Tuition Assistance Grant (TAG), offered through the Office of the State Superintendent of Education.


Summer Aid: Applications and Deadlines

Federal aid for the summer is available for students typically taking at least six credits.

If you want to receive federal aid, you must submit your FAFSA and Maritime's supplemental summer aid application.

If you are attending summer, fall and spring terms, your federal loans will be split evenly.

Graduate students or parents who wish to borrow a PLUS loan should complete the PLUS application and indicate the term(s) for which the loan should apply. To ensure students receive sufficient funding, we recommend a PLUS loan application for summer only and, if applicable, another loan application for fall/spring. Note PLUS loan applications are available as of April 1.

Students who wish to borrow a private loan should complete all requirements with their lender and indicate the term(s) for which the loan should apply.

Summer sea term scholarships are available for students to apply to via (applications are due February 25).


March 1

School Code


Maritime supplemental aid application deadline

First business day in April


For Maritime scholarships criteria and applications, visit