International Students FAQ

Q: What is Maritime’s admissions deadline? What are the required application materials?


A: Maritime operates on a deadline admissions policy.

  • Early Decision: Deadline to complete application: November 1st.

  • Regular Admission: Deadline to complete application: January 31st.

    • Deadline for regular admission applicants to deposit: May 1st.

*Any applications received after January 31, will be reviewed on a space avaiIable basis*

Required Application Materials:

• Completed application for admissions and the Maritime Supplemental Application.

• Transcripts: Official High School Transcript must be submitted directly to the Maritime College Admissions Office

• Two letters of recommendation

• Submit a 250 word essay or personal statement (Topic of your choice)

• All applicants must submit a TOFEL/ IELTS. SAT I or, ACT as required. 

Transfer and Graduate Students

*It is important for you to submit all of your documents to the Office of Admissions in sufficient time for us to process all the paperwork and send your I-20 form to you.

  • Transfer Students

  • College Transcripts


  • WES evaluations

  • Graduate Students

  • College Transcripts


  • WES evaluations

  • Two letters of recommendation

  • Personal Statement

  • Resume

You can submit documents earlier, but remember that all bank statements must be current within six months of the date of submission

Use the following deadlines as a guideline:

Fall semester:

  • Regiment Students: June 15

  • Civilian and Graduate: June 30

Spring semester: November 15 of the previous year

How do I obtain an F-1 Visa?

In order to obtain an F-1 visa, you must be admitted into a U.S. Institution. Once admitted you pay the SEVIS fee, and supply the necessary documents to the institution so they can issue you an I-20. Once you receive your I-20 you can make an appointment for your visa with your local U.S. embassy or consulate office.

What documents do I need for my I-20?

You will receive the I-20 application with your admissions welcome packet upon acceptance. You will need to fill out the I-20 completely, and submit a copy of your passport, a bank letter showing sufficient funds. If you are currently attending a U.S. school you need to submit, an I-20 transfer form, a copy of your visa, I-94, and a copy of the I-20 from your current school.

How do I pay the SEVIS fee?

The SEVIS fee must be paid in US currency and can be paid in two ways:

Electronically, by completing form I-901 on the Internet with a credit card. Please visit to submit your payment by credit card. SEVIS accepts Visa, MasterCard, or American Express. Credit Card payment is the quickest way to pay the SEVIS fee. Print the receipt directly from your computer and bring it with you to your visa appointment. 

By mail, by submitting form I-901 and a check or money order drawn on a U.S. bank and payable in U.S. currency. Do not send cash. Be sure to include your payment and I-901 form, or coupon in the same envelope. You must wait for a receipt to be mailed back to you before making visa appointment. This can cause a delay in your application process for a visa. 

By Mail: I-901 Student/Exchange Visitor Processing Fee

P.O. Box 970020

St. Louis, MO 63197-0020

United States

By Courier: I-901 Student/Exchange Visitor Processing Fee

1005 Convention Plaza

St. Louis, MO 63101

United States

Can I start classes on a B visa?

No, you cannot. If you have a B visa you must go back to your home country and apply for an F-1 visa.

What is the cost of tuition?

All international students are considered out of region. For a breakdown of the complete international costs and fees for one academic year please refer to page 3: I-20 Application.

What evaluation services can I use to evaluate my foreign transcripts?

You may use any of the NACES approved evaluation services.

Can I obtain a U.S. Coast Guard License?

No, you cannot. You must be a U.S. citizen to get a Coast Guard License. Most home countries will accept your SUNY Maritime’s training. You must check with your home country to ensure they follow this. International students are welcome to enroll in the Regiment of Cadets and take the License exam, but you will not receive the U.S. Coast Guard license. If you pass the License exam, you will receive a Letter of Accreditation that you can take to your home country.

Permanent Residents will receive a limited license upon passing the License exam.

Do I have to be in the Regiment of Cadet?

No, you only have to be in the regiment if you want to receive training towards a coast guard license. Students are allowed to join the regiment as nonlicense student.

Can I work in the U.S. while I am on an F-1 visa?

You may only work Curricular Practical Training (CPT - Internship) or Optional Practical Training (OPT). After completing one year you can begin using your 12 months of OPT or use the entire year upon graduating. OPT and CPT employment must be in your field of study only. If you can obtain a job on campus as a student aide that is the only other option.

For more information on employment please reach out to International Student Services.

What percentage of the student body is international students?

7% undergraduate & 30% Graduate

Can I transfer into SUNY Maritime College?

You may transfer from a College/University that is overseas, or from a U.S. Institution.

Does Maritime offer academic scholarships to international students?

Yes, international students can qualify for new or transfer student scholarships as long as they meet the minimal qualifications.

Is student housing available for international students? How safe are the facilities?

Students who participate in the Regiment of Cadets are required to live on our campus in the suburban Throggs Neck area of the Bronx for all four years. All students are granted campus housing on a first come, first served basis. Students require a key to enter residence hall rooms. Further information, including a Campus Safety Report, can be found on the Maritime Website.